MedFest® is a free health screening that meets the requirements of a standard sports physical, required under the General Rules of Special Olympics, Inc. MedFest® also helps recruit new athletes to Special Olympics, retain current athletes, and provide physicians, nurses and other health care providers with training and specialized experience in the examination and assessment of people with intellectual disabilities.
The objectives of MedFest® include:
- Offer a free sport physical and other health examination services to people with intellectual disabilities
- Recruit new athletes to the Special Olympics program
- Foster new partnerships between Special Olympics and the community
- Provide physicians, nurses and other health care providers with training and specialized experience in the caring for people with intellectual disabilities
Research conducted with athletes at Special Olympics events has revealed:
- 90% of primary care residency programs in the U.S. offer no training in caring for people with intellectual disabilities
- 81% of graduating medical students in the U.S. report not having any training in the care of people with intellectual disabilities
- 60% of adult Special Olympics athletes are overweight or obese
- 29% of Special Olympics athletes under the age of 22 are overweight or obese
MedFest® events are held at State Summer and Winter Games. Led by volunteer physicians, nurses, physician assistants and medical students, the MedFest® screening consists of the following stations: medical history, height and weight, blood pressure, cardiology test, musculoskeletal test, orthopedic tests, abdominal evaluation and a check-out station.
Information for Healthcare Professionals
Interested in becoming a clinical director?
Clinical Directors are an important part of the Healthy Athletes Medfest team. Clinical Directors are responsible for working with their local Special Olympics Program and other volunteer health professionals in coordinating a Medfest event in their region.
Interested in volunteering at a Health Promotion event?
Volunteer roles are available for individuals of all backgrounds including physicians, nurses, physician assistants and medical students. Examples of volunteer roles available at Medfest screenings include:
- Athlete registration
- Athlete guides
To register to volunteer at a MedFest event, contact Kellie Murphy at email@example.com