How can you get involved?
Looking for a great way to change lives, be inspired, and have fun? Join Special Olympics Michigan and start making a difference!
The Special Olympics movement is changing lives everyday! Throughout Michigan, thousands of people are joining the Special Olympics family. Whether you are an athlete, volunteer, coach, or donor*, there is a place for you at Special Olympics.
Special Olympics Michigan works to open doors for people of all ages and all walks of life.
Be a fan of Confidence
Athlete Joe Kaczynski began competing in Special Olympics Michigan at age 8, and has earned many medals since that time. Competing in Special Olympics has also given him confidence as an employee at Runners, where he is the "face of [the] business" according to owner Bill Thompson.
Be a fan of Acceptance
Ken Miedema knew volunteering for Special Olympics Michigan would change his life. He also found that it would prepare him for his future. His years of volunteering gave him a deep understanding of the intellectually disabled, which proved to be exactly what he needed when his granddaughter, Kendall, was born with Down syndrome. "Deep down in our hearts," he said, "God has put a feeling in all of us to help those who are mentally and physically impaired."
Be a fan of Pride
Coach LeeAnn LaRue coaches to change lives, not to win games. Like the athletes she coaches, LeeAnn finds a way to overcome new challenges every day; at age 5, LeeAnn developed spinal meningitis, which caused a lifelong hearing impairment. LeeAnn has embraced her role as a Special Olympics Michigan Coach, "I like to see them do well, she said, "But even when we lose, the team feels proud of their accomplishments and keeps trying to do their best."
- 4/25: Craftabulous Retreat Weekend April 25-27 (Utica)
- 4/26: Area 29 Bowl-A-Thon (Hillsdale)
- 5/2: 2014 Breakfast of Champions (Detroit)
- 5/10: 2014 Ann Arbor Comedy Showcase (Ann Arbor)
- 5/10: 4th Annual LETR Capital Area Dodgeball Tournament (East Lansing)
- 5/18: 2014 Knights of Columbus Golf Scramble (Lowell)
- 5/29: 2014 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/30: 2014 Rev It Up Ride (Mount Pleasant)
- 6/14: 2014 USA Games
- 7/19: 2014 LETR Grand Rapids Plane Pull (Grand Rapids)