One of the best ways to support Special Olympics Michigan is to come to our events. Beyond that, there are many ways to help by giving your time to our important work.
Volunteers cheer on SOMI athletes during the State Summer Games.
Special Olympics Michigan would not exist today, nor be as successful as it is, without the help of the thousands of people who dedicate their time, energy, and especially their enthusiasm to making the world a more accepting place.
Being a volunteer is all about finding what moves you, and the right opportunity to get involved. Check out these volunteer opportunities:
• Volunteer Interest Form: Interested in volunteering for Special Olympics Michigan at the Local level as a coach, chaperone, or one day event volunteer? Complete the Volunteer Interest Form and you will be contacted by your Area Director with upcoming opportunities.
• Volunteer at a State event
• Serve as a coach
• Donate your time as a sports official by contacting Kellie Murphy
• Compete alongside Special Olympics athletes through Unified Sports
• If you work with law enforcement, join in our Law Enforcement Torch Run efforts
• Offer your services as a medical professional at our free health screenings through the Healthy Athletes Program or as a medical team member
• Become a volunteer photographer or videographer by contacting Aaron Mills
Registered Class A Volunteer Opportunities
Class A volunteers include coaches, chaperones, area management team members, medical volunteers, and anyone else acting in a leadership role.
All registered volunteers must complete the following requirements:
• Complete theVolunteer A Form and submit to Kellie Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org. This form must be completed every three years.
• Complete the online General Orientation training. The results of this training will automatically be sent to the State Office.
• Complete the Protective Behaviors training. This training must be completed every 3 years and the results will automatically be sent to the State Office.
Need help completing one of the above trainings? CLICK HERE FOR A TUTORIAL.
Day of Event Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer at a State Competition: State-level events are always in need of individuals and groups to help with various jobs, including serving food, keeping score, officiating, and many others. For a list of upcoming state-level events, see the Events menu at the top of the screen. To register for a State Event click here.
If you're an enthusiastic self-starter who works independently and you have excellent organizational and communication skills, join the Special Olympics team as an intern. Internships are available across many departments throughout Special Olympics Michigan. Some of the internships offered include sports & programming, events, marketing & communications, and more. If you are interested in an internship please fill out the online Internship Interest Form.