2012 State Summer Games
- May 31 - June 2, 2012
- Central Michigan University
- Mount Pleasant, MI
• The theme for the 2012 State Summer Games is Heroes!
• More than 5,000 athletes, coaches, chaperones and volunteers!
• Premier competition of the year, offering 10 sports
• Healthy Athletes® Village
• Young Athletes™ Program
- Motor Activities Training Program
- Power Lifting/Weightlifting
- Opening/Closing Ceremonies
- Special Events
Celebrate the Special Olympics Michigan 2012 State Summer Games May 31- June 2 on the campus of Central Michigan University! All the fun and celebration starts at 10 a.m. Thursday, May 31 at the Capitol steps in Lansing with a special Law Enforcement Torch Run® (LETR) ceremony. LETR members will then spend the next seven hours running in relay fashion to light the Flame of Hope at Opening Ceremonies. Opening Ceremonies start at 6:30 p.m.
Be a fan in the stands for Opening Ceremonies or cheer on athletes as they compete on Friday, June 1 and Saturday, June 2! There is no charge for admission. Come join the fun as 5,500 athletes, coaches, chaperones and volunteers from nearly every county in Michigan come together to share in the competition, joy, acceptance, friendship, inclusion and excitement of the State Summer Games!
Here are some of the highlights planned for this year:
- LETR Capitol Steps Torch Lighting Ceremony
- 2011 Inspirational Athlete Elizabeth Viele to Light Torch
- Presenting Sponsor Spartan Stores
- United States Coast Guard Ceremonial Flyover
- Sports Figures and Plenty of Pageant Royalty
- Spartan Stores 2011 Healthy Athlete of the Year Nicholas Cross
- Rev It Up Ride (Fundraising Motorcycle Ride)
- Two Athletes will be Named the King & Queen of the State Summer Games
- Healthy Athletes® Village
- Young AthletesTM Program (ages 2-7)
- Flag Football expo
- Our Presenting and Statewide Gold Medal Sponsor Spartan Stores is back for the 28th year! Spartan Stores supports athletes, provides volunteers and feeds hundreds of volunteers throughout the Games.
- The annual Capitol Steps Kick-off Torch Lighting Ceremony will be Thursday, May 31 at 10 a.m. on the main steps of the Capitol building in Lansing. The public is welcome to attend! Law Enforcement Torch Run® (LETR) members will light the torch with an athlete. Then 14 LETR members will each run a five mile stretch during the next nine hours from the Capitol in Lansing to Mt. Pleasant, in relay style, leading up to Opening Ceremonies that night at 6:30 p.m.
- George Perles is the Honorary Chairman of the 2012 State Summer Games presented by Spartan Stores. We are celebrating the 25th year of the Kelley-Perles-Secchia golf outing fundraiser on August 6 in Lansing. The outing is named after former Michigan Attorney General Frank Kelley, former MSU Football Coach George Perles and former U.S. Ambassador to Italy Peter Secchia, who originated the outing.
- The 2011 Inspirational Athlete of the Year Elizabeth Viele from Dimondale will have the honor of running the last leg of the torch run in Kelly/Shorts Stadium to light the Flame of Hope at Opening Ceremonies. She will be presented with a running jacket at Closing Ceremonies from the Law Enforcement Torch Run® and become an honorary member. The 2012 Inspirational Athlete of the Year will be announced during Closing Ceremonies.
- A special treat this year will be a performance by Ben Schuller Plus 3, a group of Central Michigan University students.
- Opening Ceremonies will include a Coast Guard flyover provided by United States Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City!
- Sports Celebrities include former Detroit Lions T.J. Duckett and Tom Kanka. There will also be plenty of pageant royalty, including Miss Michigan Elizabeth Wertenberger, who competed in the Miss America pageant earlier this year. More than a dozen other title holders from around Michigan will also attend! The Celebrity Autograph signing is on Friday, June 1 from 3 - 4:30 p.m. at Central Michigan University's Event Center Atrium.
- Our Spartan Stores 2011 Healthy Athlete of the Year Nicholas Cross from Wayne will lead the Athlete Oath at Opening Ceremonies. Nicholas will also be present at the Celebrity Autograph Signing. He is featured on limited edition bottles for Spartan brand Cranberry Cocktail Juice. The Spartan Stores 2012 Healthy Athlete of the Year will be announced during Opening Ceremonies.
- The 3rd annual "Rev It Up Ride" returns. Motorcycle riders from all across Michigan will ride to Mt. Pleasant. Many of them are members of the Michigan Moose Association but anyone is welcome to participate by paying the entry fee. The ride raises funds for Special Olympics Michigan. An autograph session will take place at Kelly/Shorts Stadium Friday, June 1 from 6:30 - 7 p.m. before the start of Closing Ceremonies.
- We will have an athlete Prince and Princess from each of our 37 area programs. The King and Queen of the 2012 State Summer Games will be drawn from the 12-member court and announced at Closing Ceremonies.
- The Healthy Athletes® Village provides free health screenings to all athletes. This year it includes Opening Eyes®, Special Smiles®, Healthy Hearing, MedFest®, Fit Feet, Health Promotions, FUNFitness and Spartan Stores "To Your Good Life." Zumba and a rowing challenge will also be offered.
- We are offering the Young AthletesTM Program on Saturday, June 2 from 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in MAC I of Rose Arena. The Young AthletesTM Program introduces children ages 2-7 to Special Olympics Michigan, before they become eligible to compete at age eight.
- A Flag Football expo will take place on Thursday and Friday at 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. in the Football Stadium. We will demonstrate this new sport, come out and watch!
- On Thursday, May 31 from noon - 4 p.m. Project UNIFY® will bring together unified bocce teams from Project UNIFY® Schools to participate in our first Unified Bocce tournament. Competition will be on the bocce courts. Students are empowered to be leaders in their schools and educate their peers about diversity, anti-bullying and respect. Special Olympics Project UNIFY® is a school-based project that uses sports and education programs to activate young people to develop school communities where all youth are agents of change - fostering respect, dignity and advocacy for people with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics Michigan is excited to finish our 4th year with the program. This year we worked with 53 schools throughout Michigan and had over 4,000 students participate in the program.
- The Mini Javelin (Turbo Jav) is now offered as an official competition for athletes.
Click here for schedules and everything you need to know about the 2012 State Summer Games presented by Spartan Stores!
Statewide Premier Gold Medal Sponsor:
Statewide Gold Medal Sponsor:
Statewide Silver Medal Sponsor:
Statewide Bronze Medal Sponsors:
Statewide Civic Partners:
Healthy Athletes® Presented by:
Friends & Supporters:
Delta Dental Foundation
Lions Club, International
The Herbert H. and Grace A Dow Foundation