Special Olympics Michigan “Too Chicken to Plunge” event makes a splash in Detroit!
By: Sarah Steele
What better way to get people ready for the Detroit Polar Plunge than letting them test the waters first? The first summer plunge event, "Too Chicken to Plunge", was hosted at Nemo's Bar and Grill this past Saturday, Aug. 11. Brave volunteers and supporters came out despite the rainy weather to take a seat in the chilly dunk tank.
"I've been through worse! " said 12-year-old Connor Sherlock. Connor was the first to take the hot seat and set the bar high, being dunked numerous times by dad and others who came out to take part in the fun.
The event raised more than $2,000 and gained interest from new supporters. There were nine people who took a seat in the tank, one of them being TJ Duckett, former Detroit Lions Running Back. It cost a minimum of $50 to participate in the event and Nemo's Bar and Grill donated 20% of every bill that afternoon back to Special Olympics Michigan.
Area 15 athlete (Oakland County) Jessica Loxley-Smith joined in on the excitement of throwing balls at the tank and speaking to those in attendance on how important Special Olympics Michigan means to her.
"From Special Olympics I have gained the feeling that I am valued and I can make a difference. I don't have to feel that I am not good enough and the coaches make me feel like I am important to them. I have also been able to go to State Summer Games to compete and it's great to get together with so many other athletes just like me," said Jessica.
After all was said and done she had to say her favorite parts of the day were speaking, dunking people and when TJ Duckett signed her T-shirt!
Whether those involved were plunging veterans or taking their first of many plunges, one thing's for certain; we will be seeing several of our former "chickens" at the 2013 Detroit Polar Plunge on Saturday, Feb. 16 at Milliken State Park!
- 5/25: Volleyball Tournament (Carson City, MI 48811)
- 5/30: 2013 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/31: Wertz Warriors Golf Outing (Macomb)
- 5/31: Rev It Up Ride (Mt. Pleasant)
- 6/2: 7th Annual Office Lounge Golf Outing (Port Huron)
- 6/8: 2013 5K Foam Fest (Shelby Twp., Michigan)
- 6/15: 2013 MWCAA Corporate Cup Relays (Lathrup Village)
- 6/17: Area 8 Golf Invitational (East Lansing)
- 6/18: REO Golf Outing (Northville, MI 48168)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)