Special Olympics Michigan is a Lifetime Love for Some Athletes
By: Natilie Williams
Melissa Morehead of Area 15 (Oakland County) is more than familiar with Special Olympics Michigan. Melissa is 45 years old and has been involved with Special Olympics Michigan for most of her life. "Since middle school, Special Olympics has been a big part of my life," said Melissa as her face glowed while discussing her longevity and passion. Cheers, high fives and amazing energy exuded from Melissa at the State Softball Finals presented by Amerisure on Saturday, July 21 in Canton, Mich.
During the summer, Melissa holds the position of team manager of the Area 15 softball team, the Orange Crushers. She competes in spring olympic sports, including bowling. She attended the State Softball Finals to cheer on her fellow athletes from her area. "Everyone here is like family to me and I look forward to these events every year," said Melissa. This was clear as Melissa shouted "great job" to everyone on her team as they made their way back to the dugout.
Special Olympics Michigan athletes gain much more than what meets the eye. Coach Kevin Mull of Area 23 (Wayne County) can definitely attest to this. Coach Kevin has been a Special Olympics Michigan coach for 13 years and became interested through his wife, whose brother has Down syndrome. As a coach, Kevin has seen improvement in his athletes over the years. "The athletes become more social and outgoing while understanding what it means to be a team. Their sportsmanship is amazing; it can be something as simple as cheering on teammates," said Coach Kevin.
Through Special Olympics, athletes gain self-confidence and prove their own capabilities. Special Olympics Michigan is not just training for sports--it's training for life!
- 6/20: Water Warriors Boatyard Grille (Chesterfield Township)
- 6/21: 2013 Deputy Sheriff's Golf Outing (Cadillac)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)
- 6/22: Area 8 Miniature Golf (Okemos, Michigan 48864)
- 6/23: 7th Annual Area 19 Golf Scramble (Battle Creek)
- 6/24: 2013 MOMC Charity Muskie Derby (Grosse Pointe Shores)
- 6/25: Water Warriors Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser (Port Huron)
- 7/1: Annual Midland Golf Outing (Midland)
- 7/13: 3rd Annual Buffalo Wings & Rings Golf Outing (Macomb, MI 48042)
- 7/26: LETR Outback Luncheon (Saginaw)