Special Olympics Michigan Night at the Whitecaps
Special Olympics Michigan athletes stepped up to bat on the home field of the West Michigan Whitecaps at Fifth Third Ballpark in Plainfield on Wednesday, August 22 before the start of the Whitecaps game.
Athletes showcased their skills to the crowd during a softball demonstration to bring awareness to Special Olympics Michigan and to show off their talents. Special Olympics Michigan athletes work hard and train for competition just as any other athlete would.
The two competing softball teams were the Eagles and the Phoenix from Area 11 (Kent and Barry Counties). The demonstration also featured the skills team, the Robins.
"I'm excited to be here to see and play with my friends," said Andy Strouse from the Eagles. In addition to softball, Andy also competes in basketball, bowling, soccer and swimming.
News anchor from WZZM-TV13, Juliet Dragos came out to show her support for our athletes as well.
Following the demonstration, athletes got the opportunity to get autographs and take pictures with motorcycle riders from the Michigan Moose Association Sparta Moose Lodge 50 - Moose on Bikes, featuring approximately 50 motorcycles. Moose on Bikes came out to Rev it Up for athletes and Whitecaps fans during the opening of the Whitecaps game.
"I love to see the smiles on their faces," said Skip Hutting from Moose on Bikes. "We have a great crew that love helping."
Also during opening, Baseball Buddies got to stand with Whitecaps players on the field for the singing of the National Anthem. Following, Spartan Stores Healthy Athlete of the Year, Ben Snyder, threw out the first pitch and the Whitecaps presented Special Olympics Michigan with a check for $1,000.
Fans erupted with cheers in the stands as Michigan Moose Association Riders revved their engines around the diamond signaling the games to begin!
Thank you to the West Michigan Whitecaps, Michigan Moose Association and Juliet Dragos for your support of Special Olympics Michigan athletes!
- 6/20: Water Warriors Boatyard Grille (Chesterfield Township)
- 6/21: 2013 Deputy Sheriff's Golf Outing (Cadillac)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)
- 6/22: Area 8 Miniature Golf (Okemos, Michigan 48864)
- 6/23: 7th Annual Area 19 Golf Scramble (Battle Creek)
- 6/24: 2013 MOMC Charity Muskie Derby (Grosse Pointe Shores)
- 6/25: Water Warriors Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser (Port Huron)
- 7/1: Annual Midland Golf Outing (Midland)
- 7/13: 3rd Annual Buffalo Wings & Rings Golf Outing (Macomb, MI 48042)
- 7/27: LETR Torch Ride