Special Olympics Michigan Athletes Shine Through the Rain at 2012 State Golf Finals
By: Lauren Rich
Athletes showed no signs of defeat in the rain Thursday, July 19 and were determined to do what they came there to do, compete.
Thursday marked the 23rd annual State Golf and Softball Finals presented by Amerisure for Special Olympics Michigan. This three day competition began with Golf Finals held at Pine View Golf Course in Ypsilanti. Following golf, Softball Finals were held Saturday, July 21 in Canton and Saturday, July 28 in Kalamazoo and St. Johns.
Golf Finals consists of three sections including skills competition, unified competition and 9-hole play. Skills competition features a range of stations for athletes of all skill levels to further develop their athletic abilities. Unified competition is a team sport consisting of an athlete and a coach that play the 9-hole course together. 9-hole play lets the most advanced athletes compete individually on the course in the form of stroke play.
Although the weather was unpleasant, athletes, coaches and volunteers persevered through the rain that lasted throughout most of the morning as competitions proceeded without delay. Golf Finals had a successful turnout considering the weather. Volunteers from Amerisure, CVS Caremark and Mattel made appearances to dedicate their day to the athletes.
As competitions wind down on Saturday, July 28 Special Olympics Michigan eagerly looks forward to continuing the success of Golf and Softball Finals in years to come.
- 5/30: 2013 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/31: Wertz Warriors Golf Outing (Macomb)
- 5/31: Rev It Up Ride (Mt. Pleasant)
- 6/2: 7th Annual Office Lounge Golf Outing (Port Huron)
- 6/8: BEneFIT Pedal Walk (Bay City)
- 6/8: 2013 5K Foam Fest (Shelby Twp., Michigan)
- 6/15: 2013 MWCAA Corporate Cup Relays (Lathrup Village)
- 6/17: Area 8 Golf Invitational (East Lansing)
- 6/18: REO Golf Outing (Northville, MI 48168)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)