James Ellison Breaks Record for Largest Opening Dead-lift in State Summer Games History
By: Kayla Hord
Crowds quickly gathered hoping to see the incredible talent of powerlifter James Ellison, and watch him make history.
James, an athlete from Northville in Area 23 (Wayne County), shattered records with his 550 pound deadlift, the largest opening deadlift in Special Olympics Michigan State Summer Games history. The crowd, silent during his attempt, burst into applause at the feat.
James, however, focused in on even bigger goals. Following his first deadlift, James increased his weight and successfully lifted 580 pounds for his second attempt. Although his third attempt at 585 pounds was incomplete, the crowd cheered wildly supporting the athlete's achievement.
It was clear to see that James' training and dedication paid off. James trains nine to ten months each year in order to build up the strength and discipline required to make his lifts.
"I use every day as a tool. I don't take the easy way out," said James.
James began lifting while playing high school football. His coach was a huge source of inspiration and a good role model while James began his lifting career.
"My coach would tell me to visualize myself lifting it and then I could do a lot more weight," said James. He also credits competitive sibling rivalry with his brothers as motivation to keep improving.
Previously, James completed a 600 pound lift at Area games. During the 2012 State Summer Games, James received first place for his 500 pound squat and first place for his 290 pound bench press. His combination squat, bench and dead lift totaled 1,370 pounds.
In his free time, James works at Emagine Theatre in Novi and enjoys playing hockey and basketball. Although he is a natural athlete in many sports, James plans on committing his time to strengthening his powerlifting for future competitions.
- 5/19: Knights of Columbus Golf Outing (Lowell, MI 49331)
- 5/25: Volleyball Tournament (Carson City, MI 48811)
- 5/30: 2013 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/31: Wertz Warriors Golf Outing (Macomb)
- 5/31: Rev It Up Ride (Mt. Pleasant)
- 6/8: 2013 5K Foam Fest (Shelby Twp., Michigan)
- 6/17: Area 8 Golf Invitational (East Lansing)
- 6/18: REO Golf Outing (Northville, MI 48168)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)
- 6/22: LETR Tri-City Area Dodgeball (Bay City, MI 48708)