Capitol Steps Kick-off Torch Lighting Ceremony and 9-hour Law Enforcement Torch Run® Marathon
(The Event leads up to the Special Olympics Michigan 2012 State Summer Games Presented by Spartan Stores Opening Ceremonies)
More than 60 uniformed police officers and law enforcement professionals, and dozens of Special Olympics Michigan athletes will gather at 10 a.m. Thursday, May 31 at the Capitol steps in Lansing for the Law Enforcement Torch Run® Capitol kick-off torch lighting ceremony leading up to the Special Olympics Michigan 2012 State Summer Games Presented by Spartan Stores.
Special Olympics Michigan athlete Austin Caswell from Area 8 (Ingham & Eaton Counties) and Michigan State Police Sgt. Gerald Badgett will approach the crowd and light the cauldron.
At the end of the ceremony, Austin and Sgt. Badgett will carry the flame to runners. As the Guardians of the Flame, LETR runners will spend the next nine hours running in relay fashion to Mt. Pleasant and carry the flame into the Special Olympics Michigan 2012 State Summer Games Opening Ceremonies at 6:30 p.m. at Kelly/Shorts Stadium at Central Michigan University.
The Special Olympics Michigan 2012 State Summer Games Presented by Spartan Stores will take place on the campus of Central Michigan Univseristy May 31 - June 2. About 2,600 athletes from nearly every county in Michigan will be competing.
The LETR is not just a run. Community based activities and fundraisers take place throughout the year locally and statewide. One example of the statewide LETR fundraisers are Polar Plunges.
The following is the list of runners and how they are scheduled to begin. The run begins at 10:30 a.m., after the presentation at 10:00 a.m. and will run close to the schedule below. If you would like to attend the ceremony at the Capitol (east side,) please be there around 9:30 a.m. and in uniform. Note: There are other runners wishing to participate so consider this a "fluid" document and revisions are possible.
- Runner #1 Chris McIntire (MSP Rockford Post) Joel Allen (MSP Brighton Post)
Start - East side of Capitol Building (10:30 a.m.)
- Runner #2 Darin Southworth and Joel Mires (Lansing PD) Start - Old US-27 near Stoll Rd. (11:10 a.m.)
- Runner #3 Mark Uribe (MSP- BAYANET) Garth Burnside (MSP HQ)
Start - Old US-27 near Chadwick Rd. (11:50 a.m.)
- Runner #4 Jeremy Brewer & Jen Johnson (MSP Training) Gerald Badgett (MSP EMHSD) Mandi Brunner and Jen Pung (Lansing PD)
Start - Old US-27 near Centerline Rd. (12:30 p.m.)
- Runner #5 S/A Doug Zloto and Robert Kuykendall (U.S. Secret Service)
Start - Old US-27, ½ mile south of Walker Road. (1:10 p.m.)
- Runner #6 Kevin Sweeney (MSP Lakeview Post) Start - US-127 near Marshall Rd. (1:50 p.m.)
- Runner #7 Jim Dennis (MDOC-Ionia) Eric Cottrell (MDOC)
Start - US-127, ¼ mile south of Ranger Rd. (2:30 p.m.)
- Runner #8 Jim Yeager, (MSP- Ionia) Dave Katz (MDOC-Parole) Todd Thorn (MDNR) Start - US-127, 1/10 mile north of Hayes Rd. (3:10 p.m.)
- Runner #9 John Gates (Hillsdale Co.) Jason Haines, (MDNR)
Start - Washington Rd. WB, 3/10 mile west of Bagley (3:50 p.m.)
- Runner #10 Dean Molnar, Joel Lundberg, Brandon Kieft (MDNR) Start - Old State Rd., 1/10 mile north of Tyler (4:30 p.m.)
- Runner #11 Dan Lee, Mark Papineau, Carrie Jones, Brooke Keift, Creig Grey, Rebecca Hopkins (Michigan Department of Natural Resources)
Start - Lincoln near Republic Rd. (5:10 p.m.)
- Runner #12 Howie Hanft, Lynn Kavaluna (Ogemaw County Sheriff Dept.)
Start - Luce Rd. near Madison Rd. (5:50 p.m.)
- Runner #13 Chuck Towns (MDNR)
Start - Shepherd Rd., ¼ mile south of Freemont Rd. (6:30 p.m.)
- Runner #14 Dave Sabuda (Mt. Pleasant P.D.)
Start - Blanchard Rd., 4/10 mile west of Isabella Rd. (7:10 p.m.)
- Local Run - through town toward Kelly Shorts Stadium (only if necessary to add time).
Each leg should be running around an eight minute per mile pace or 40 minutes for the five miles. There will be some slower and some faster, but the average will be around 40 minutes.
**Start times may fluctuate from the start, but the finish in Mt. Pleasant will be 7:40 p.m. into the stadium.**