Anthony Chambers Wins Gold, Silver Medals in Father's Memory
By Tessa Feeley
You can say Anthony Chambers was born to go fast. The All-Star athlete from Area 15 (Oakland County) loves to ski and run. During this year's State Winter Games, Anthony captured a gold medal in the giant slalom and silver in the slalom. He was also a gold medal-winning track and field athlete during the 2013 State Summer Games.
When he was younger, one of Anthony's teachers suggested getting involved with Special Olympics Michigan because Anthony was always running; always moving. Anthony's doctor also believed the exercise and athletic competition would help strengthen Anthony's asthmatic lungs. That was 13 years ago. And while Anthony still competes to this day for many reasons, the biggest reason he competes is for his father.
Anthony's father passed away in 2011 from cancer. The one thing he wanted to do for his son was to buy him new skis before he passed. And it was on those very skis that Anthony won gold and silver at this year's State Winter Games.
"When I see him smile, I think of his dad," said Lucy Chambers, Anthony's mother. "His dad always had a smile on his face and Anthony is always smiling."
In Anthony's spare time he loves to play with his four cats, but Dalla is his favorite. He also enjoys his visits with his "Nana", who is Anthony's dad's mother. "She is so proud of Anthony and he loves his nana so much," said Chambers.
- 8/2: 2014 MPG Dream Ride (Milford)
- 8/4: 23rd Annual Special Olympics of Golf at Pine Trace (Rochester Hills)
- 8/4: 2014 Area 11 Golf Outing (Grand Rapids)
- 8/12: 2014 Medaling Monkey 5k Walk/Run (Grand Rapids)
- 8/23: 2nd Annual Rheeder Pig Roast (Harrison Township)
- 8/23: 3D Archery Shoot and Trap Shoot (Hemlock)
- 9/26: 2014 State Fall Games (Ypsilanti, Canton and Chelsea)
- 10/10: 2014 Inspire Greatness Gala (Detroit)
- 2/3: 2015 State Winter Games
- 5/28: 2015 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)