Anthony Chambers Wins Gold, Silver Medals in Father's Memory
By Tessa Feeley
You can say Anthony Chambers was born to go fast. The All-Star athlete from Area 15 (Oakland County) loves to ski and run. During this year's State Winter Games, Anthony captured a gold medal in the giant slalom and silver in the slalom. He was also a gold medal-winning track and field athlete during the 2013 State Summer Games.
When he was younger, one of Anthony's teachers suggested getting involved with Special Olympics Michigan because Anthony was always running; always moving. Anthony's doctor also believed the exercise and athletic competition would help strengthen Anthony's asthmatic lungs. That was 13 years ago. And while Anthony still competes to this day for many reasons, the biggest reason he competes is for his father.
Anthony's father passed away in 2011 from cancer. The one thing he wanted to do for his son was to buy him new skis before he passed. And it was on those very skis that Anthony won gold and silver at this year's State Winter Games.
"When I see him smile, I think of his dad," said Lucy Chambers, Anthony's mother. "His dad always had a smile on his face and Anthony is always smiling."
In Anthony's spare time he loves to play with his four cats, but Dalla is his favorite. He also enjoys his visits with his "Nana", who is Anthony's dad's mother. "She is so proud of Anthony and he loves his nana so much," said Chambers.
- 4/25: Craftabulous Retreat Weekend April 25-27 (Utica)
- 4/26: Area 29 Bowl-A-Thon (Hillsdale)
- 5/2: 2014 Breakfast of Champions (Detroit)
- 5/10: 2014 Ann Arbor Comedy Showcase (Ann Arbor)
- 5/10: 4th Annual LETR Capital Area Dodgeball Tournament (East Lansing)
- 5/18: 2014 Knights of Columbus Golf Scramble (Lowell)
- 5/29: 2014 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/30: 2014 Rev It Up Ride (Mount Pleasant)
- 6/14: 2014 USA Games
- 7/19: 2014 LETR Grand Rapids Plane Pull (Grand Rapids)