Let the Games Begin! 2013 State Winter Games Feb. 5-8!
Join the excitement as 800 Special Olympics Michigan athletes from more than 60 counties across Michigan along with 800 coaches, chaperones and volunteers gather to compete at the 2013 State Winter Games on February 5-8 at Grand Traverse Resort and Spa, Schuss Mountain at Shanty Creek Resort, and Howe Ice Arena at the Grand Traverse Civic Center.
Special Olympics Michigan (SOMI) transforms lives through the power of sport. During competition athletes showcase the skills they've learned from months of intense training. Competition includes alpine skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, speed skating and figure skating.
The games are presented by Wertz Warriors while we invite and encourage community members to attend events to show support and cheer on athletes. Wertz Warriors was created by Vic Wertz who had a dream to "completely underwrite the Special Olympics Michigan Inc. State Winter Games." Since his dream, he has raised awareness and more than $8.8 million for SOMI through riding more than 900 miles on snowmobiles across northern Michigan.
There is never a charge for admission to any Special Olympics Michigan athlete competition. We especially need ‘fans in the stands' during our figure and speed skating time trails, and competition at Howe Ice Arena inside the Grand Traverse Civic Center on Wednesday, Feb. 6 and Thursday, Feb. 7 from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- 12/14: Stoney Creek Wertz Warriors Auction (Onaway)
- 1/9: Law Enforcement Torch Run Kickoff Conference (Acme)
- 1/11: 2014 Brighton Polar Plunge (Brighton)
- 1/18: 2014 Lake City Polar Plunge (Lake City)
- 1/18: 2014 Battle Creek Polar Plunge (Battle Creek)
- 1/19: 2014 Monroe Polar Plunge (Monroe)
- 2/1: 2014 Jackson/Clarklake Polar Plunge (Clarklake)
- 2/4: 2014 State Winter Games
- 2/8: 2014 Sylvan Lake Polar Plunge (Sylvan Lake)
- 2/8: 2014 Gaylord Polar Plunge (Gaylord)