Discover the Benefits of Donating Appreciated Stock
When planning to make a donation this year, consider the benefits of donating appreciated stock. Special Olympics Michigan is a qualified charitable organization so donations may be deducted on your federal income tax return as an itemized deduction. This works best for those whose marginal tax bracket is 15 percent or higher and who claim itemized deductions.
The tax benefits include deducting the amount of the charitable donation AND escaping the unrealized gains on donated stock. When the donated property is an investment, the donor does not have to recognize the capital gain. These rules create a "double play" of tax benefits: a charitable deduction AND avoiding tax on unrealized capital gains of donated property.
Tax benefits from a donation of appreciated stock versus giving cash can be substantial, and the donation will be just as life changing as a cash donation. Consult your tax preparer or broker for more details on donating stock, and be sure the stock has been held for more than a year.
If interested in making a stock donation, contact Special Olympics Michigan for all the necessary information your broker will need.
Please help us continue to provide inclusive opportunities to 19,620 athletes of Special Olympics Michigan!
Special Olympics Michigan
- 5/25: Volleyball Tournament (Carson City, MI 48811)
- 5/30: 2013 State Summer Games (Mount Pleasant)
- 5/31: Wertz Warriors Golf Outing (Macomb)
- 5/31: Rev It Up Ride (Mt. Pleasant)
- 6/2: 7th Annual Office Lounge Golf Outing (Port Huron)
- 6/8: 2013 5K Foam Fest (Shelby Twp., Michigan)
- 6/15: 2013 MWCAA Corporate Cup Relays (Lathrup Village)
- 6/17: Area 8 Golf Invitational (East Lansing)
- 6/18: REO Golf Outing (Northville, MI 48168)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)