How can you get involved?
Looking for a great way to change lives, be inspired, and have fun? Join Special Olympics Michigan and start making a difference!
The Special Olympics movement is changing lives everyday! Throughout Michigan, thousands of people are joining the Special Olympics family. Whether you are an athlete, volunteer, coach, or donor*, there is a place for you at Special Olympics.
Special Olympics Michigan works to open doors for people of all ages and all walks of life.
Be a fan of Confidence
Athlete Joe Kaczynski began competing in Special Olympics Michigan at age 8, and has earned many medals since that time. Competing in Special Olympics has also given him confidence as an employee at Runners, where he is the "face of [the] business" according to owner Bill Thompson.
Be a fan of Acceptance
Ken Miedema knew volunteering for Special Olympics Michigan would change his life. He also found that it would prepare him for his future. His years of volunteering gave him a deep understanding of the intellectually disabled, which proved to be exactly what he needed when his granddaughter, Kendall, was born with Down syndrome. "Deep down in our hearts," he said, "God has put a feeling in all of us to help those who are mentally and physically impaired."
Be a fan of Pride
Coach LeeAnn LaRue coaches to change lives, not to win games. Like the athletes she coaches, LeeAnn finds a way to overcome new challenges every day; at age 5, LeeAnn developed spinal meningitis, which caused a lifelong hearing impairment. LeeAnn has embraced her role as a Special Olympics Michigan Coach, "I like to see them do well, she said, "But even when we lose, the team feels proud of their accomplishments and keeps trying to do their best."
- 6/20: Water Warriors Boatyard Grille (Chesterfield Township)
- 6/21: 2013 Deputy Sheriff's Golf Outing (Cadillac)
- 6/21: 6th Annual Highlands Golf Classic (Grand Rapids)
- 6/22: Area 8 Miniature Golf (Okemos, Michigan 48864)
- 6/23: 7th Annual Area 19 Golf Scramble (Battle Creek)
- 6/24: 2013 MOMC Charity Muskie Derby (Grosse Pointe Shores)
- 6/25: Water Warriors Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser (Port Huron)
- 7/1: Annual Midland Golf Outing (Midland)
- 7/13: 3rd Annual Buffalo Wings & Rings Golf Outing (Macomb, MI 48042)
- 7/26: LETR Outback Luncheon (Saginaw)