Counties » Kent, Barry
Sports » Alpine Skiing, Aquatics, Athletics (Track and Field), Basketball, Bocce, Bowling, Cross Country Skiing, Cycling, Golf, Gymnastics, Poly Hockey, Snowboarding, Snowshoeing, Soccer, Softball, Speed Skating, Volleyball
Total Athletes » 1,104
On this page, you will find information about our area, a list of upcoming events and even news articles about what is happening. If you have any questions about Area 11, please email Scott Clark and Lisa Hickman. Volunteer information available by contacting: Area11@somi.org
Area 11 bi-weekly electronic newsletter
Area 11 sends out an email newsletter every other Thursday! We share our current fundraising events, athletic competition details, save-the-dates, volunteer opportunities and more! Please subscribe here if you would like to receive this e-newsletter or call the office with your email address to sign up!
7th Annual Special Olympics Golf Classic
Benefiting Special Olympics Michigan, Area 11
The Special Olympics Golf Classic is in its seventh year and continues to be successful in not only raising funds for Special Olympics Michigan Area 11 but also raising awareness of the program. The scramble format tournament promises to be a rewarding day with challenging golf, awards, prizes, food and fellowship with co-workers and Special Olympics Michigan Area 11 athletes!
- When: Monday, August 4, 2014
- Where: Highlands Golf Course (2715 Leonard Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI)
- Cost: $125/person, $500/team of four
- Registration and Breakfast: 7:00 a.m.
- Shotgun Start: 8:30 a.m.
- Immediately Following: Lunch, Awards Ceremony, Silent Auction
- Sponsorship Opportunities
- Event Brochure/Registration Information
- For registration or sponsorship inquiries please contact:
Krista Paulin, Development and Events Coordinator, Southwest
KCPaulin@somi.org or (616) 583-1202
Medaling Monkey 5k Walk/Run
- When: Tuesday, August 12, 2014
- Where: John Ball Park (1300 W Fulton St., Grand Rapids, MI)
- Cost: $25
- Registration: 5:00 p.m.
- Race: 6:30 p.m.
- Awards immediately following race
- Online Registration
- Medaling Monkey Facebook page
- For more information contact:
KCPaulin@somi.org or (616) 583-1202
Meet Our Area Directors
Since November 1, 2012, Scott Clark and his wife Lisa Hickman have been the fearless leaders of Area 11. Scott and Lisa coached the Robins Skills basketball and softball teams for six years before taking on this new volunteer role. They bring enthusiasm, knowledge and passion to the position, and we are very lucky to have them!
Thank You, Nexus Academy
Our thanks to Nexus Academy for their support of Area 11 Special Olympics as a Silver Medal sponsor!
Nexus Academy is a tuition free college preparatory high school with locations Grand Rapids, Lansing, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Columbus and Toledo. Nexus Academy provides students with a unique blend of online and classroom learning with personalized learning plans and a challenging curriculum featuring Advanced Placement and Honors level courses in Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, Humanities and Social Studies. Nexus Academy limits enrollments to 300 students in order to deliver a more personalized learning environment. Students develop strong organizational skills, communication skills, leadership skills-the exact skills that are critical for success in college and beyond! Call 888-533-6360 to learn more.
We are excited to have their support and partner with them this year. To learn more about them, please visit their website at www.nexusacademyschool.com
Facts: Health Appraisals
• Special Olympics Michigan requires an "application for participation" on this official physical form to be completed by a medical professional and signed by a parent/guardian before an athlete may begin training for any sport.
• The Application for Participation, sometime called a "health appraisal," is valid for 3 years after the physician signature date.
• Please help us be prepared for a medical situation by fully completing sections A, B, C, and D.
• Return the form via email to email@example.com, by fax (616) 583-1635, or mail to SOMI Area 11, 1239 76th ST SW, Suite E, Byron Center, MI 49315.
- Director » Scott Clark and Lisa Hickman
- 1239 76th Street SW, Suite E Byron Center, MI 49315